Friday, February 16, 2018

Qualifier Bellis, 18, pushes Halep in Doha loss

   After a slow start, CiCi Bellis gave second-ranked Simona Halep a battle today before losing.
   Halep reeled off the first seven games and held on to defeat Bellis, an 18-year-old qualifier who was born and raised in the San Francisco Bay Area, 6-0, 6-4 in the quarterfinals of the Qatar Total Open in Doha.
   Halep faced no break points in the first set but 10 in the second set, saving eight, in her first match against Bellis.  
   "She's fast," Halep said of the 2017 WTA Newcomer of the Year. "She's hitting the ball fast, and she stays close to the baseline, which makes her game fast, and it's not easy to stay there. You have to be aggressive to make points. In the second set, I couldn't finish the points because she was everywhere, and she has great movement."
   Halep later withdrew from her semifinal against fourth-seeded Garbine Muguruza with a right foot injury suffered during the Australian Open last month. Halep fell to 0-3 in Grand Slam finals with her 7-6 (2), 3-6, 6-4 loss to Caroline Wozniacki in Melbourne.
   Bellis, the youngest player in the top 50 by almost two years, will rise about eight places to No. 40 on Monday. She reached a career-high No. 35 last August.

Thursday, February 15, 2018

Qualifier Bellis, 18, stuns Pliskova in Qatar

   CiCi Bellis achieved two more milestones today in her meteoric rise on the WTA tour.
   The 18-year-old qualifier, who was born in San Francisco and raised in nearby Atherton, stunned defending champion Karolina Pliskova, ranked and seeded fifth, 7-6 (4), 6-3 to reach the quarterfinals of the Qatar Total Open in Doha.
   It was Bellis' first victory over a top-five player and former world No. 1.
   "This was huge for me," Bellis, the youngest player in the top 50 by almost two years at No. 48, crowed in her on-court interview. "I think I played a really good match and just tried to track down as many balls as I could. Obviously, I've watched her play for many years, and she's one of my idols, for sure. I'm just really happy I was able to get through it."
   Bellis, the WTA Newcomer of the Year in 2017, recorded her third victory over a top-10 player. She defeated Agnieszka Radwanska and Svetlana Kuznetsova last year when they were ranked No. 6 and No. 8, respectively.
   Add Bellis' win over Petra Kvitova in the Bank of the West Classic quarterfinals at Stanford last August, and she has beaten three former world No. 2s, along with Radwanska and Kuznetsova.
   Also, Bellis has knocked off the last two U.S. Open runners-up in the past two days. Pliskova lost to Angelique Kerber at Flushing Meadows in 2016 in a virtual replay of the 2015 Stanford final. On Wednesday, Bellis ousted 12th-seeded Madison Keys, who fell to Sloane Stephens in last year's U.S. Open after winning the Stanford title earlier in the summer.
   Pliskova missed the Czech Republic's 3-1 victory over Switzerland in Prague in the first round of the Fed Cup last weekend with stomach flu and complained of fatigue against Bellis.
   Bellis avenged a 6-1, 6-1 loss to Pliskova in the second round at Brisbane in the first week of the year.
   "When I played her in Brisbane, she killed me, and I was super nervous before that match," Bellis said of their only previous meeting. "It was the start of the year. It was my second match of the year, and she was playing really well there.
   "I knew I had to be super on top of it from the first point today, and that's what my team and I discussed. From the first point, I had to be 100 percent rather than kind of get into the match and take a few games. So I think that was a big part of it."
   Bellis is scheduled to meet Simona Halep, ranked and seeded second, for the first time on Friday after the 4:30 a.m. (PST) match between fourth-seeded Garbine Muguruza and seventh-seeded Caroline Garcia.
   Halep remains bothered by a sprained ankle suffered during her march to last month's Australian Open final, in which she lost to Caroline Wozniacki 7-6 (2), 3-6, 6-4.

Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Qualifier Bellis, 18, upsets Keys in Qatar

   Chalk up another big win for CiCi Bellis.
   The 18-year-old qualifier, who was born in San Francisco and grew up in nearby Atherton, knocked off compatriot Madison Keys, seeded 12th and ranked 14th, 2-6, 6-3, 6-0 today in the second round of the Qatar Total Open in Doha.
   Bellis won 10 of the last 11 games in her first meeting with Keys.
   The 5-foot-7 (1.68-meter) Bellis recorded her seventh victory over a top-20 player and second this year. She defeated then-No. 20 Magdalena Rybarikova, a Wimbledon semifinalist last year, in the first round at Sydney last month.
   Bellis, now based in Orlando, Fla., also earned her sixth win over a Grand Slam champion or runner-up (although she beat Jelena Ostapenko the year before the Latvian won the French Open). The 5-foot-10 (1.78-meter) Keys reached last year's U.S. Open final, losing to Fresno product Sloane Stephens, after winning the Bank of the West Classic at Stanford earlier in the summer.
   Keys, who climbed to a career-high No. 7 in October 2016, also advanced to the Australian Open quarterfinals last month.
   Bellis, the youngest player in the top 50 by almost two years at No. 48, will meet defending champion Karolina Pliskova, seeded and ranked fifth, for the second time on Thursday. The 6-foot-1 (1.86-meter) Pliskova, the 2015 Bank of the West runner-up who ascended to No. 1 last July, won 6-1, 6-1 in the second round at Brisbane in the first week of the year.
   "I'll have to play aggressive because she runs very well at the baseline," Pliskova, a 6-2, 6-3 winner over Alize Cornet of France, said on wtatennis.com. "I still have to play my game, serve better than I did today, and hopefully I can win that match."
   In the second and last round of qualifying in Doha, Bellis defeated Russia's Sofya Zhuk, the Wimbledon girls singles champion in 2015 at 15 years old, 6-1, 6-3.

Sunday, February 11, 2018

Jung edges Koepfer in thriller for 100K S.F. title

   Jason Jung could have folded after he was broken while serving for the title in the $100,000 San Francisco Open.
   He could have folded when he lost three consecutive points, the last two on his serve, to trail 3-4 in the third-set tiebreaker.
   But the Los Angeles-area native, who plays for Taiwan, recovered to beat Dominik Koepfer of Germany 6-4, 2-6, 7-6 (5) today in an indoor battle of unseeded players at the Bay Club SF Tennis Center. It was the first meeting between Jung, 28, and Koepfer, a 23-year-old left-hander.
   Jung jumped from No. 205 in the world to No. 155, near his career high of No. 143, with his third Challenger singles final, the second-biggest of his career and his first outside of China.
   Koepfer, a former All-American at Tulane in New Orleans, rose from No. 285 to a career-high No. 229 after his first Challenger singles final.
  Jung graduated from the University of Michigan in political science in 2011 and worked for an oil company in his native Torrance for one month before being laid off. He planned to go to law school but didn't do as well on the admission test as he had hoped, so he launched his professional tennis career.
   Jung broke serve to lead 5-4 in the third set, but Koepfer broke back at love as Jung got tight and made several errors. Koepfer saved a break point to hold for 6-5, and Jung sent the match to a tiebreaker.
   Jung bolted to a 3-1 lead, but Koepfer rallied for a 4-3 advantage. Koepfer, probably feeling nerves of his own, then double-faulted for 4-4. With Koepfer serving at 5-6, he netted a forehand to end the match after 2 hours, 5 minutes.
   Jung pocketed $14,400, and Koepfer collected $8,480.
   Here are the completed singles and doubles draws.
   Fed Cup -- Canadian captain Sylvain Bruneau substituted 19-year-old Katherine Sebov for former Stanford star Carol Zhao, 22, in today's first match against Romania in World Group II.
   It didn't help.
   Irina-Camelia Begu, ranked 37th, defeated Sebov, ranked 319th, 6-2, 6-4 to clinch Romania's 3-1 victory in Cluj-Napoca, Romania. In a meaningless doubles match, Gabriela Dabrowski and Zhao edged Ana Bogdan and Raluca Olaru 6-4, 1-6 [10-6]. The second reverse singles match was abandoned.
   Zhao, ranked No. 138, lost to No. 38 Sorana Cirstea 6-2, 6-2 on Saturday.
   Romania was missing its top singles player, No. 2 Simona Halep, and Canada was without its top two singles competitors, No. 116 Eugenie Bouchard and No. 123 Francoise Abanda.
   Bouchard reached the 2014 Wimbledon final and climbed to a career-high No. 5 later that year. Abanda won the $25,000 Redding (Calif.) Challenger in 2016 at age 19.
   Romania advances to the World Group playoffs, and Canada drops to the World Group II playoffs.

Saturday, February 10, 2018

German routs NorCal's Novikov in 100K S.F. semis

   Dominik Koepfer of Germany dismissed San Jose product Dennis Novikov 6-3, 6-1 in 51 minutes today in a semifinal matchup of unseeded players in the $100,000 Kunal Patel San Francisco Open.
   Koepfer, a 23-year-old left-hander, has not lost a set in the indoor tournament at the Bay Club SF Tennis Center, surviving two tiebreakers.
  The former All-American at Tulane in New Orleans advanced to his first Challenger singles final. He won the $75,000 Columbus (Ohio) Challenger doubles crown with American Denis Kudla last September.
   Today's other semifinal also featured unseeded players. Jason Jung, a Los Angeles-area native who plays for Taiwan, beat Miomir Kecmanovic, an 18-year-old Serb, 7-6 (5), 4-6, 6-2 in 1 hour, 58 minutes. Jung, only 5-foot-11 (1.80 meters), had 11 aces and only one double fault.
   Kecmanovic had needed 2 hours, 38 minutes to subdue third-seeded Michael Mmoh on Friday night, while Jung had breezed past sixth-seeded Noah Rubin in 52 minutes in the following match.
  Jung, 28, seeks his third Challenger singles title and first outside of China. He will face Koepfer, also 5-foot-11, for the first time on Sunday at 4 p.m.
   Jung is ranked No. 205, 80 spots above Koepfer. Their career highs are No. 143 (October 2016) and No. 239  (last October), respectively.
   Here are the singles and doubles draws and Sunday's schedule.
   Fed Cup -- Sorana Cirstea defeated former Stanford star Carol Zhao, making her Fed Cup singles debut, 6-2, 6-2 as Romania took a 2-0 lead over Canada in Cluj-Napoca, Romania, in World Group II. In the second match, Irina-Camelia Begu beat 17-year-old Bianca Andreescu 6-3, 6-7 (4), 6-2.
   Zhao, ranked No. 138, will try to keep Canada alive in the best-of-five-match competition when she faces Begu, ranked No. 37, in Sunday's first match.
   Romania is missing its top singles player, No. 2 Simona Halep, and Canada is without its top two singles players, No. 116 Eugenie Bouchard and No. 123 Francoise Abanda.
   Bouchard reached the 2014 Wimbledon final and climbed to a career-high No. 5 later that year. Abanda won the $25,000 Redding (Calif.) Challenger in 2016 at age 19.
   The four victorious nations in World Group II will play the four losers in the World Group for berths in next year's World Group, which determines the Fed Cup champion.

Friday, February 9, 2018

Four unseeded players oust seeds in S.F. quarters

   Seedings meant nothing on an extraordinary day in the $100,000 San Francisco Open.
   An unseeded player beat a seed in every quarterfinal today in the indoor tournament at the Bay Club SF Tennis Center. Falling were No. 3 Michael Mmoh, No. 5 Bradley Klahn, No. 6 Noah Rubin and No. 7 Filip Peliwo.
   Miomir Kecmanovic, an 18-year-old Serb, outslugged Mmoh, a semifinalist last year at 19 years old, 7-6 (3), 6-7 (4), 6-1 in 2 hours, 38 minutes. The match featured an epic 53-point rally. Both players train in Bradenton, Fla.
   Germany's Dominik Koepfer, a former Tulane All-American, beat Southern California's Klahn, a 2012 Stanford graduate, 6-2, 7-6 (6) in a matchup of left-handers.
   Jason Jung, a Los Angeles-area native who plays for Taiwan, routed New York-area resident Rubin, the 2014 Wimbledon boys singles champion, 6-3, 6-1 in 52 minutes.
   And Dennis Novikov, a 24-year-old San Jose product, held off Canada's Peliwo, the 2012 Wimbledon boys singles champion, 7-5, 7-5.
   In Saturday's semifinals, the 215th-ranked Novikov will meet No. 285 Koepfer for the first time at 5:30 p.m., followed by No. 194 Kecmanovic vs. No. 205 Jung.
   Jung crushed Kecmanovic 6-1, 6-1 in 48 minutes last week in the quarterfinals of the $125,000 Dallas Challenger in their first meeting. Kecmanovic was coming off a 7-6 (4), 6-7 (5), 7-6 (4) victory over American Austin Krajicek, also in 2 hours, 38 minutes.
   Here are the San Francisco singles and doubles draws and Saturday's schedule.

Thursday, February 8, 2018

Jung stuns No. 2 seed McDonald in S.F. Open

   Jason Jung, a Los Angeles-area native who plays for Taiwan, stunned second-seeded Mackenzie McDonald, a San Francisco Bay Area product, 1-6, 7-6 (3), 6-2 tonight to reach the quarterfinals of the $100,000 Kunal Patel San Francisco Open.
   McDonald, the runner-up to Kei Nishikori last week in Dallas, double-faulted on Jung's second match point in the indoor tournament at the Bay Club SF Tennis Center.
   Jung, 28, graduated from the University of Michigan in political science in 2011 and worked for an oil company in his native Torrance for one month before being laid off. He planned to go to law school but didn't do as well on the admission test as he had hoped, so he launched his professional tennis career.
   Jung, who lost to Nishikori in the Dallas semifinals, will face sixth-seeded Noah Rubin of Long Island, N.Y., in Friday night's late match.
   Rubin, the 2014 Wimbledon boys singles champion, defeated qualifier Jared Hiltzik of Orlando, Fla., 6-1, 6-4.
   In another quarterfinal, San Jose product Dennis Novikov will take on seventh-seeded Filip Peliwo of Canada.
   Novikov, 24, survived his second straight three-setter. He outlasted Daniel Elahi Galan of Colombia 5-7, 6-3, 6-4 after ousting top-seeded Alexander Bublik of Kazakhstan 7-6 (10), 3-6, 6-2 on Tuesday night.
   The 6-foot-4 (1.93-meter), 200-pound (91-kilogram) Novikov pounded 15 aces and committed three double faults against Galan. Novikov won 53 percent of the points on his second serve (19 of 36) to only 36 percent for Galan (12 of 33).
   Peliwo, the 2012 Wimbledon boys singles champion, dismissed wild card Danny Thomas, an 18-year-old left-hander based in Wesley Chapel, Fla.
   Here are the singles and doubles draws and Friday's schedule.