Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Querrey faces discipline after reportedly fleeing Russia

   The Sam Querrey saga suddenly reads like a spy novel.
   The 33-year-old San Francisco native reportedly fled Russia with his wife and 8-month-old son after all three tested positive for the coronavirus.
   The ATP Tour called the incident "a serious breach of protocol," adding that "breaches of protocol can jeopardize an event's ability to operate and have repercussions on the rest of the tour. In accordance with the ATP's Code of Conduct, we are taking this matter extremely seriously, and an investigation is underway."
   Querrey, ranked 49th, was forced to withdraw from this week's St. Petersburg Open after testing positive. He and his family were instructed to quarantine for 14 days at the luxurious St. Petersburg Four Seasons hotel. So far, no problem. 
   But then, according to freelance tennis writer Ben Rothenberg, a Russian health official said a doctor would examine the family and if they showed symptoms, they could be forced to be hospitalized.
   Querrey, who now lives in Las Vegas, said nyet to that and hired a private jet to whisk him and his family to a nearby European country, where they are staying at an AirBNB.
   Rothenberg, who has written for The New York Times, tweeted that Querrey "is still entered in further events in what remains of the 2020 ATP calendar, including the Paris-Bercy Masters, and plans to stay in Europe for that. Entirely likely, though, that he will face some sort of disciplinary action that will take him out of that event (and more?)."
   Querrey, who reached a career-high No. 11 in February 2018, is 0-4 since the professional tours resumed in August after the pandemic halted play for almost five months. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please help defray travel expenses
$
Thanks for your donation!