Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Stanford grad Klahn reaches 100K S.F. quarters

Bradley Klahn, volleying in last year's San Francisco Open, improved to 5-0
against fellow American Mitchell Krueger today. Photo by Mal Taam
   It came as no surprise that today's match between Americans Bradley Klahn and Mitchell Krueger went to three sets.   Or that Klahn prevailed.
   The fifth-seeded Klahn, a 2012 Stanford graduate in economics, outlasted Krueger 6-7 (4), 6-4, 6-4 to reach the quarterfinals of the $100,000 Kunal Patel San Francisco indoors at the Bay Club SF Tennis Center.
   Klahn, a 27-year-old left-hander rebounding from his second back operation, hammered 12 aces to Krueger's four. Both players committed four double faults.
   Klahn improved to 5-0 against Krueger, 24, but each of the last four meetings has gone to three sets. Furthermore, Klahn beat Krueger 6-4 in the third set for the second time in three weeks.
   Klahn will face former Dominik Koepfer, a 23-year-old German left-hander, on Friday. Koepfer, a former All-American at Tulane in New Orleans, upset fourth-seeded Denis Kudla, a 2017 quarterfinalist from Arlington, Va., and Tampa, Fla., 7-6 (3), 6-3.
   Klahn defeated Koepfer 7-5, 6-1 on outdoor clay in the second round of the $75,000 Tallahassee (Fla.) Challenger last April in their only previous meeting.
   In another quarterfinal, third-seeded Michael Mmoh, a semifinalist last year at 19, will play 18-year-old Serb Miomir Kecmanovic for the first time. Both players train in Bradenton, Fla.
   Two San Francisco Bay Area products, Dennis Novikov and second-seeded Mackenzie McDonald, will seek quarterfinals berths on Thursday at 2 p.m. and approximately 8:30 p.m., respectively.
   Here are the updated singles and doubles draws and Thursday's schedule.
   College rankings -- The Stanford men jumped from No. 10 to No. 5 after beating then-No. 5 USC 6-1 on Friday and then-No. 6 UCLA 4-3 on Sunday, both at Stanford.

NorCal's Novikov ousts top seed in $100K S.F. Open

Dennis Novikov serves in doubles during the 2016
U.S. Open. Photo by Paul Bauman
   SAN FRANCISCO — Patience paid off for Dennis Novikov in a wild first-set tiebreaker on Tuesday night.
   Top-seeded Alexander Bublik of Kazakhstan double-faulted on the 24-year-old San Jose product's eighth set point, and Novikov went on to win 7-6 (10), 3-6, 6-2 in the first round of the $100,000 Kunal Patel San Francisco Open indoors at the Bay Club SF Tennis Center. Novikov won the last four games.
   Bublik, 20, had a set point serving at 7-6 in the tiebreaker, but his backhand slice down the line sailed wide.
   Novikov admitted it was difficult to keep his composure in the tiebreaker.
   "Definitely," he said. "He let me off the hook a little bit as well when he was serving for it and didn't convert. Tennis can go either way based on a couple of points. I just tried to stick with it."
   Bublik, who according to at least one pro has top-10 potential, double-faulted three times in the tiebreaker and twice at 2-3, 30-30 in the third set. He finished with 18 aces and 11 double faults.
   "That's the way he plays," Novikov said of Bublik going for big second serves. "He also had some games where he hit big second serves, and he came back with them in games where I should have broken. When you play like that, it kind of comes and goes. You take it as it is."
   It's the third consecutive week in which Novikov played the top seed in the opening round. He ousted former world No. 4 Kei Nishikori, who had been out since August with a right wrist injury, 6-3, 3-6, 6-4 two weeks ago in Newport Beach and lost to Nishikori 6-3, 6-3 in Dallas. Nishikori went on to win the Dallas title, beating San Francisco Bay Area product Mackenzie McDonald in the final.
   "It's unlucky, I guess," Novikov said. "But I know if I come out and play to my level, it doesn't matter what seed it is. At the end of the day, you have to go through all of them to win the tournament. Obviously, it would be nice to play them in the final and get a little easier draw, but either way, you've got to beat them, so I was ready."
   Novikov lives in downtown Los Angeles, but his parents reside in Milpitas in the Bay Area.
   "I'm up here visiting pretty often," he said. "I still consider myself from the Bay Area."
   Bublik, who was not available for comment, lost in the first round of a Challenger for the second consecutive week and fell to 2-5 this year after reaching a career-high No. 95 last September.
   Russia natives Bublik, 6-foot-5 (1.96 meters) and only 167 pounds (76 kilograms), and Novikov, 6-foot-4 (1.93) and 200 pounds (91), met for the second time. Bublik won 6-1, 6-4 in the quarterfinals at Aptos, 82 miles (132 kilometers) south of San Francisco, en route to the title last August. Novikov had sprained an ankle playing in Cabo San Lucas the previous week.
   After the Aptos final, runner-up Liam Broady of Great Britain said of the hard-hitting Bublik, "I don't see why he can't be top 10."
   Unlike in Aptos, the right-handed Bublik wore a sleeve on his right arm on Tuesday night. However, the arm did not appear to trouble him.
   Bublik qualified for the Australian Open and Wimbledon last year, upsetting then-No. 16 Lucas Pouille of France in the first round in Melbourne and falling in straight sets to then-No. 1 and defending champion Andy Murray at the All-England Club.
   Bublik also reached the quarterfinals indoors in Moscow on the ATP World Tour in 2016 and 2017, ousting then-No. 23 Albert Ramos-Vinolas of Spain in the second round last year.
  Novikov advanced to the second round at the U.S. Open in 2012 and Wimbledon in 2016. He gained his first ATP quarterfinal last July on grass in Newport, R.I.
   Bublik, who lost in the second round of qualifying in the Australian Open this year, has dropped to No. 132. Novikov is No. 215, down from his career high of No. 119 in August 2016.
   In Tuesday night's last match, the second-seeded McDonald beat wild card Florian Lakat of France 6-4, 6-4 in a matchup of 22-year-olds. McDonald was born and raised in Piedmont, across the bay from San Francisco, and Lakat starred at Cal, a 15-minute drive north of Piedmont.
   All four seeds in action during the day session, including three Americans, won in straight sets.
   No. 3 Michael Mmoh, a semifinalist last year at 19, dispatched wild card Christian Garin of Chile 6-2, 6-3 in their first career meeting.
   Mmoh, the American son of former Nigerian pro Tony Mmoh, reached his first quarterfinal on the ATP World Tour in Brisbane, Australia, last month as a qualifier. He took out then-No. 33 Mischa Zverev of Germany in the second round.
   Garin qualified for Wimbledon last year and fell to Jack Sock, ranked eighth at the time, in the opening round. Garin also won the French Open boys singles title five years ago, beating Alexander Zverev (Mischa's younger brother) in the final. In the current rankings, 6-foot-6 (1.98-meter) Alexander Zverev is No. 5 at 20 years old, and the 6-foot-1 (1.85-meter) Garin is No. 298 at age 21.
   No. 5 Bradley Klahn, who graduated from Stanford in 2012, topped Marcelo Arevalo of El Salvador 7-6 (1), 6-3 in a battle of 27-year-olds to even their head-to-head series at 1-1. Arevalo, a former Tulsa star, won 7-5, 6-4 in the first round of qualifying at a $50,000 Challenger on outdoor clay in Vicenza, Italy, last May.
   Arevalo reached the doubles final in the $100,000 Tiburon Challenger last fall with Miguel Angel Reyes-Varela of Mexico. The lost to Lakat and his former Cal teammate Andre Goransson of Sweden. Affluent Tiburon is situated across the Golden Gate Bridge from San Francisco.
   Two former Wimbledon boys champions, Noah Rubin (2014) and Canada's Filip Peliwo (2012), also advanced.
   Rubin, seeded sixth, beat Jose Hernandez-Fernandez of the Dominican Republic 6-1, 3-0, retired (right thigh). Peliwo, seeded seventh, eliminated 34-year-old qualifier Maximo Gonzalez of Argentina 6-4, 6-2.
   Here are the San Francisco Open singles and doubles draws and today's schedule.

Monday, February 5, 2018

No. 4 seed Kudla advances in 100K San Francisco

Denis Kudla continued his strong start in 2018.
File photo by Paul Bauman
   Continuing his strong start in 2018, fourth-seeded Denis Kudla of Arlington, Va., and Tampa, Fla., defeated Ante Pavic of Croatia 6-4, 7-6 (4) tonight in the first round of the $100,000 Kunal Patel San Francisco Open at the Bay Club SF Tennis Center.
   Kudla, a quarterfinalist in San Francisco last year, reached the second round of the Australian Open as a qualifier last month. He upended countryman Steve Johnson, ranked 48th at the time, in the first round and led Austria's Dominic Thiem, then No. 5, two sets to none before falling.
   Kudla also advanced to the semifinals of last week's $125,000 Dallas Challenger, losing to Mackenzie McDonald of Piedmont in the San Francisco Bay Area.
   McDonald, seeded second in San Francisco, is scheduled to play wild card Florian Lakat, a former Cal standout from France, after Tuesday's featured match at 7 between top-seeded Alexander Bublik of Kazakhstan and Dennis Novikov, a 24-year-old San Jose product.
  Kudla, ranked a career-high No. 53 in 2016, tumbled to No. 207 last October. He has since climbed to No. 166.
   Kudla, a 25-year-old Ukraine native, attributes his hot start to harder offseason training.
   "I did a lot more cardio ... so I could sustain a higher level of tennis for a longer period of time," he said on atpworldtour.com. "That was a big thing. I knew the game was there, but I kept dying at a certain point, and I realized I just wasn't in good enough shape. I thought I was, but I wasn't. So that was the biggest thing. When I know I'm in shape, the game is there. It was always been there."
   Earlier today, 18-year-old Serbian phenom Miomir Kecmanovic ousted eighth-seeded Brayden Schnur of Canada 6-4, 7-6 (2).
   In the final round of qualifying, 17-year-old Jenson Brooksby of Sacramento lost to 34-year-old Maximo Gonzalez of Argentina 6-4, 6-2.
   Here are the qualifying, singles and doubles draws and Tuesday's schedule.

Sunday, February 4, 2018

Brooksby, 17, advances in 100K S.F. qualies

Jenson Brooksby seeks his first berth in the main draw
of a Challenger. 2017 photo by Paul Bauman
   Jenson Brooksby, 17, of Sacramento beat eighth-seeded Franco Agamenone of Argentina 7-5, 6-1 today to reach the final round of qualifying in the $100,000 Kunal Patel San Francisco Open at the Bay Club SF Tennis Center.
   Brooksby will face another Argentine, 34-year-old Maximo Gonzalez, on Monday at 1 p.m. The 403rd-ranked Gonzalez, only 5-foot-9 (1.75 meters) and 165 pounds (75 kilograms), dominated Sem Verbeek, a former University of the Pacific standout from the Netherlands, 6-3, 6-2.
   Brooksby seeks his first berth in the main draw of a Challenger in his fourth attempt. He came within a tiebreaker of beating then-
No. 153 Marco Trungelliti of -- yep -- Argentina in the second round of qualifying in the $100,000 Stockton (Calif.) Challenger at 15 in 2016. Trungelliti triumphed 2-6, 7-6 (3),
6-3.
   Patel was a tennis enthusiast who died in a 2014 bicycle accident at 27. He was scheduled to leave for London one week later with friends to watch the ATP World Tour Finals.
   Here are the San Francisco Open qualifying, singles and doubles draws and Monday's schedule.

Novikov to face top seed (again) in S.F. Challenger

   With Dennis Novikov's luck, he shouldn't bet on the Super Bowl.
   The 24-year-old San Jose product drew the top seed for the third consecutive week in the Kunal Patel San Francisco Open. Novikov will face Alexander Bublik of Kazakhstan in the $100,000 tournament, which begins Monday at the Bay Club SF Tennis Center.
   Novikov upset former world No. 4 Kei Nishikori, who had been out since August with a right wrist injury, in the opening round in Newport Beach two weeks ago and lost to Nishikori last week in Dallas.
   Nishikori, the 2014 U.S. Open runner-up, went on to defeat Mackenzie McDonald, from Piedmont across the bay from San Francisco, 6-1, 6-4 in the Dallas final on Saturday.
   Bublik, a 20-year-old Russia native, won a $100,000 Challenger in Aptos, 82 miles (132 kilometers) south of San Francisco, last August.
   McDonald, seeded second, will meet wild card Florian Lakat, a 22-year-old former Cal star from France.
   McDonald won the $100,000 Fairfield Challenger near San Francisco last October and reached the second round of the Australian Open as a qualifier last month.
   Lakat won the doubles title in the $100,000 Tiburon Challenger with former Cal teammate Andre Goransson of Sweden last fall. Tiburon is located across the Golden Gate Bridge from San Francisco.
   Third-seeded Michael Mmoh, a San Francisco semifinalist last year at 19, will play wild card Christian Garin of Chile. Fifth-seeded Bradley Klahn, a 27-year-old former Stanford star, drew Marcelo Arevalo of El Salvador.
   Neither 2017 champion Zhang Ze of China nor runner-up Vasek Pospisil of Canada is entered this year.
   Here are the San Francisco Open singles qualifying and main draws and today's schedule.

Saturday, February 3, 2018

U.S. clinches Davis Cup opener vs. Serbia

   The United States defeated Serbia in the Davis Cup for the first time today.
   Of course, Novak Djokovic missed the series after having minor surgery on his right elbow and probably wouldn't have played anyway.
   Ryan Harrison and Steve Johnson topped Nikola Milojevic and Miljan Zekic 6-7 (3), 6-2, 7-5, 6-4 to give the United States an insurmountable 3-0 lead in Nis, Serbia, in the first round.
   Harrison, who won the French Open last year with Michael Venus of New Zealand, played in the Davis Cup for the first time since 2012.
   Serbia is missing its top three singles players -- No. 13 Djokovic, No. 38 Filip Krajinovic and No. 67 Viktor Troicki. Absent for the United States are its top singles player, No. 8 Jack Sock, and doubles team, Bob and Mike Bryan.
   The 39-year-old Bryan twins (Stanford, 1997-98) retired from Davis Cup competition at the beginning of last year. They won a U.S.-record 24 matches and lost five.
   The United States, which won the last of its record 32 Davis Cup titles in 2007, improved to 1-2 against Serbia, which defeated the Americans on clay in Belgrade in 2010 and on hard courts in Boise in 2013. Djokovic won the decisive fourth rubber each time. Serbia reached the final in both years, beating France in 2010 and losing to the Czech Republic in 2013. Both finals were in Belgrade.
   The United States will host either Belgium or Hungary in the quarterfinals on April 6-8 at a site to be announced. Belgium leads that series 2-1 in Liege, Belgium.
   Meanwhile, former Cal All-American Ben McLachlan lost his doubles match for Japan. Simone Bolelli and Fabio Fognini, the 2015 Australian Open champions, defeated McLachlan and Yasutaka Uchiyama 7-5, 6-7 (4), 7-6 (3), 7-5 in Morioka, Japan, to give Italy a 2-1 lead.
    McLachlan, a New Zealand native with a Japanese mother, and Jan-Lennard Struff of Germany reached the semifinals of the recent Australian Open in their first tournament together.

Friday, February 2, 2018

Querrey, U.S. lead Serbia 2-0 in Davis Cup opener

   A trip to Serbia normally spells trouble for the United States Davis Cup team.
   But with Serbia missing its top three players, towering Sam Querrey and John Isner gave the United States a 2-0 lead today on indoor clay in Nis in the first round.
   It still wasn't easy, especially without the No. 1 American.
   Sam Querrey, a 6-foot-6 (1.98-meter) San Francisco native, pounded 20 aces in a 6-7 (4), 6-2, 7-5, 6-4 victory over 88th-ranked Laslo Djere in the opening match. Isner, 6-foot-10 (2.08 meters), blasted 24 aces in a 6-4, 6-7 (6), 6-3, 3-6, 7-6 (4) win over 84th-ranked Dusan Lajovic.
   Absent are No. 13-ranked Novak Djokovic, No. 38 Filip Krajinovic and No. 67 Viktor Troicki for Serbia and No. 8 Jack Sock for the United States. Djokovic, formerly ranked No. 1, announced today that he had a "small medical intervention" on his right elbow.
   Querrey is ranked a career-high 12th, and Isner is 18th.
   The United States can clinch the best-of-five series in Saturday's doubles match, in which Ryan Harrison and Steve Johnson will face Nikola Milojevic and Miljan Zekic. Harrison won the French Open last year with Michael Venus of New Zealand.